Visiting Bristol - What to See and Do
Bristol has been nominated a European Centre of Culture and it's easy to see why. This tremendously lively city has plenty going for it and hosts a staggering array of festivals and events throughout the year. The city also boasts fine architecture, a thriving harbourside area, excellent dining and an impressive arts scene.
There are plenty of world-class attractions here including the 'At Bristol' complex featuring an IMAX cinema and an array of entertainment options, a fantastic zoo and some fascinating museums and galleries.Being a university city, Bristol also has some of the best nightlife in the south-west, with an array of nightclubs that pull big-name DJs from around the country.
Ten things you must do in Bristol
- Take a walking tour of Bristol; it's a great way to see some of the city's most interesting monuments and attractions.
- Catch a production at the Bristol Hippodrome, the city's main theatre which is housed in a historic building boasting many period features.
- Check out the Bristol Clifton Observatory and Caves. The observatory features a 'camera obscura' and Giant's Cave offers stunning views across the Avon Gorge.
- Learn about Bristol's wonderful architecture at the Bristol Architecture Centre.
- Don't miss 'At Bristol', with its impressive attractions including the Explore Area, IMAX cinema, planetarium, restaurants and bars.
- Enjoy views of the Avon Gorge from Isambard Kingdom Brunel's magnificent Clifton Suspension Bridge.
- Explore the popular Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery, with its excellent exhibitions of landscapes, contemporary art, Egyptian artefacts and more.
- Take the kids to the Bristol Zoo and Gardens. With its huge animal collection, it's a firm family favourite.
- Make the trip to Wookey Hole Caves near Wells; highlights include caverns, stalactites, stalagmites and underground lakes.
- Discover more than 5,000 species of plants at the University of Bristol Botanic Gardens, where you'll find an array of features including the kitchen garden and the alpine rock garden.